Beauty Abound

If I close my eyes I am right back there. The beautiful sun shining down. The leaves rustling in the breeze. The smokey smell from the fireplace. Watching the smoke waft around the fireplace. The flags waving when a gust of wind would rush through the shelter. The look on Mics face. He's not a boy anymore. I try to read his thoughts. He's happy and relieved but not giving too much away. He's not emotional but his cup is full, it's brimming. He's humble, he knows he got here with help. He's slightly uncomfortable with all of the attention but he's okay with it too. He's beautiful. Mick has the most amazing eyes. He says a lot with his eyes. What he doesn't show you or tell you is there, in his eyes. Seems like he's holding back a grin or a tear, or both.
I can't stop thinking how much KiKi would have loved today. So, I do as she would have me to do. Try to remember everything so can tell her all about it. BeBe looks so cute in her black hat , silver hair and pink lipstick. BeBe is beautiful.
Kim is in the zone, making sure everything is done and everyone is ready. The Davis's are there in complete support of their friends. What great friends they are.
The staircase is impressive in person. So symbolic too. I look back during the ceremony and see Andy Davis with a tear just now falling down his cheek. Quickly he wipes it away. Is there anything so touching as a blue eyed man with tears of pride? There is so much love in the air the whole ceremony is covered with it. Each step of the ceremony is lovingly tended to. All of the attention to detail in preparing today is evident. And it matters, it too is symbolic of what is happening in Mick's life.
Tori's prayer is precious. Dear God, thank you for everything and keep my brother safe and strong. How sweet is this girl? She loves her brother.
Kim speaks of her love of Camp Crosser and what it means to her and her servants heart shines through. A woman of substance, my sister.
Jon Hirschfeld who can tug at my heartstrings like no other is standing right in front of me and he turns to pick up the rifle that he is about to give to Mick and as he is pulling back the canvas case he pauses for a second and looks up at the tree line over my head and I see it. I see a depth and an honor and a pride in those blue eyes of his that makes my knees weak. He looked like the true blue, salt of the earth cowboy that he is at heart, reaching for his gun and scanning the horizon. Not looking for Indians just taking one second to remember this moment.
Micks speech did not disappoint. When he thanked Will for sharing his love of the great outdoor with him I thought the doors of my heart were gonna bust wide open. And then he said that Tori was one of the most caring people he knows. And his acknowledgment of his parents dedication and support. And then he says that he loves talking with his dad about just anything in the car or anywhere. And how he appreciates his Fathers point of view and his integrity and all that makes him special. Mick said it better than I am here. But let me tell you, it was a great little speech he put together. Mick is smart and capable and talented. Yes. He has a great support system, yes. He is funny and creative. Yes. Mick is motivated. Oh yes. But mostly, Mick gets it. He just does. Still waters run deep.
And Will has his special way of being so charming, just the way he slowly walks up front. He looks tall and handsome as always. He too is proud beyond measure. Will is just a beautiful person. His calmness and his humility always make me so proud of him. His gentle manner and his quiet spoken sense of humor are always a welcome sight.
I hope for just one second you could feel the joy that was in my heart when I was trying to sing that beautiful song Kim chose. I was trying to be so brave. There must be a little baby eaglet in me. I was scared but I did it anyway. Sharing that moment with Mick made me feel stronger. I kept thinking about how many times he must have been scared or uncertain but he did it anyway.
Mom used to have a little porcelain perfume case with youth dew in it. And on it it said "The gift is small, but love is all." The reason we do the things we do is what matters. Our intentions are what count. That is why it was such a beautiful day and such a meaningful ceremony. It was a celebration of people who are over and over again doing things to lift one another up. Each small act of kindness is followed by another. Each encouraging word. Each pat on the back, each apple pie adds up. And here we see that Mick's accomplishments added up to his not only having the distinguishing honor of becoming an Eagle Scout but somehow he has shared that feat with all of us. So, thanks Mick for the eagle in you bringing out the eaglets in all of us.
Anyway, that's how my memory of the day feels to me. Congratulations to Mick and to everyone who loves Mick. Thank you Kim and Jon for including everyone. You are both so good at that. Love, love, love,
S.T.

9 Comments:

  1. Kelly Haemmerle said...
    I know that was a long post but I just feel like i left so much out! I loved it when Rick Tardy talked about all the miles he had walked with Mick and how much he thought of him. And the pinning ceremony. I love Kims ribbon full of pins. I love everything, okay.
    Tiffer Sniffer said...
    I knew I wasn't the only one touched! Your song was so full of heart! Job well done my sweet Tally-poo!
    Tori said...
    amen!
    Tori said...
    amen!
    Tori said...
    baby eaglet! hehe.
    Kelly Haemmerle said...
    Pastor Wiseman used to say,
    "Can I get an Amen?"
    And everybody'd say "Amen" and then he'd say,
    "Can I get another Amen?"
    That's what your two Amen's reminded me of.
    Boo said...
    Oh Precious Baby...I so wished I had a video recording all the precious moments from Sunday. It was my most favorite day, that I can remember. Unlike Kelly, my memory sucks. And then I read this blog and she has so perfectly captured it for me. I've printed it off and will save it in Mick's scout book. Thanks for saving my day Tally. I love you all!
    hick said...
    Tally,
    You definitely captured the moment. We all saw Hirsch's family at their best; caring, sharing, and just plain lovin. The ceremony was so perfect it seemed almost well re-hearsed. I have never seen so many grown men teary eyed since I watched "Brians Song". And I'm so glad you had your eye on Andy and not me. I think I wiped more than one tear away. The day was magic and wonderful. Mick is a special boy(man)surrounded by a special family on a a mission to do wonderful things. We are so proud of his accomplishments and look forward to seeing him grow more. Silly Tally, great face...book. Your writing is awesome. Come clean my house.
    Love,
    John
    Kelly Haemmerle said...
    I'm a coming!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home