Something in the way he sings

He's tall! like 6'2" or 3" tall. And thin, very thin. And, he really loves what he does. James Taylor was pure delight. He had on jeans, boots and a wheat colored button down shirt and a brown belt. His voice goes right through you like an arrow. A gooey gushy goopy arrow. I've heard these songs 1,000 times before and was prepared to be a bit bored. Not so, He had my complete attention the entire time. I would go again just to hear him sing, You've got a friend, it's so beautiful and now, officially my favorite song. His guitar playing is really beautiful and he loves these songs as much as the rest of us do. He's funny and sweet and a gentleman. But he's got an edge to him that makes him so interesting, he's obviously intelligent and his humor is dry and he seems shy. I was surprised at the crowd. Everyone is in their 50's and it's a Tuesday night but there was some major partying going on. Oh those pesky Baby Boomers! They were yelling at James Taylor, like if he's picking up a guitar and beginning to speak someone yelled Play it! and someone yelled Lynrd Skynrd real loud and then of course FreeBird. And then all kinds of stuff. People were yelling out song titles and one lady yelled "play what you want!" Party People Unite! I guess! Someone in our row wasn't supposed to be there and a security guard had to come down and check everyone's ticket in the middle of Oh what a beautiful Morning, And a little tension was swirling about and all this right in the seat next to me! Incredible!
So many of his songs are about love and hope it was inspiring! Shower the people you love with love has always been a favorite and what a great message, and when he sang it the camera panned the crowd and everyone's drunk little faces were on the big screen behind the band. I've heard him sing for 30 years but I'd never seen him live. I didn't think I ever would and wasn't sure I really needed to. But I am so blessed by having attended that show last night. There is an honesty and vulnerability to his music that is so beautiful. It's introspective and emotional but so universal. Sweet Baby James was amazing, He wrote it for his nephew when he was born, his name sake. Sweet Baby James is now 41 years old. That song is sooo Conner and You've got a friend is soo Stevie. So, yeah, I really had a wonderful evening with my old buddy JT last night. We were in the 11th row. My tickets say Artist Comp on them because they were his tickets he had reserved for his family. So, I felt like his special guest. I would have felt like his special guest anyway. His band was great but the very best is always him with his guitar sitting on a stool singing his songs. His voice was clear and strong and he is a very engaging performer. I told Robin thank you for taking me and she said that she knows how much Mary and I both love music and what a great joy it was to share this evening with the two of us. How SWEET it is, indeed.

3 Comments:

  1. Boo said...
    I read a review that said "Oh What A Beautiful Morning" left an overriding positive impression that couldn't be surpassed. Sorry you had to mess with the seat hopper during that song, but it sounds like you had a great time!!
    Kelly Haemmerle said...
    It was! I stood in the back of the room and listened!
    Tori said...
    sounds like a great experience!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home