What have I become?


so as most of you know, one of the pitfalls of living in the south is that you start to talk like you from the south. which isn't always bad, but it does have its drawbacks. Anyway, I've decided it is definitely time for me to move back north. It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep up my superior speaking skills. The southern drawl just rolls everything together, and I find myself constantly fighting the urge to say "ya'll". In the past couple of weeks I have noticed it becoming increasingly difficult to hold it back and I think I actually let it slip once.

A few years ago I remember Lo being in the same sitch. Fighting off that southern drawl and holding back the "ya'll". Then, I heard it. Now, ya'll is a regular part of lo's vocab, which is fine, and she admitted that she just got tired of trying to hold it in all the time and I remember being shocked. Like what is this you speak of? Now, here I am in the same boat, on the edge of saying something I swore I never would. Pray for me to be strong, because if I give into ya'll it will just go down hill from there to things such as "cut it on", "cut it off", "might could", "fixin'", "reckon", "buggy" (instead of shopping cart!), and on and on and on. I will be lost, I'll start calling my patients "darlin'" or "hon" (you can't even imagine how redneck this can sound!!)

Pray for my strength. I am going to need it. I WILL NOT SUCCUMB!

2 Comments:

  1. Kelly Haemmerle said...
    Please talk with a southern drawl, I want you to.
    I looks like my quote is supposed to go with your toilet man, that's funny because it's about thankfulness and hopefulness. Maybe he's calling someone for some toilet paper.
    logann elizabeth said...
    say it tori..YALL. youll feel free. you move from place to place and take little pieces from each stop..this will be that little piece. I have stopped at yall, i dont have a twangy accent or slangs. just say it..reese witherspoon rocks the yall, YOU CAN TOO.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home